Week 06: Film and New Media
Class Task and Information
- Lesson 1:
- Students are to start their assignments: 2020 S2 T3 Y09 Assignment 01
- Character analysis:
- Australian sense of humour
- Symbolic Code of Acting
- Audiences love sitcoms because...
- they provide light relief and humour.
- they reflect problems many of us have to deal with in everyday life.
- They have liable characters we enjoy relating to - perhaps they feel like our friends.
- they are safe - we know what sort of things will happen, we know how episodes will end.
- Australian sense of humour (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_comedy)
- What are some of the codes and conventions of a TV sitcom?
- Family - Central characters of sitcoms
- Audience - Target / viewers
- Realism - Realistic storylines / humour by exaggeration / empathy
- Timings - Length of programme / weekly
- Sets - domestic / workplace
- Stereotypes - recognisable / challenged?
- Simple narrative - equilibrium, disequilibria, resolution
- Cast - regular, outside characters to cause disequilibria
- Canned laughter - prompts audience to laugh
- Acting: Describes the the persona of the actor, their look, mood, portrait of a character. Actors are there to support the narrative and the message that is being conveyed to the audience. Actors use a visual and audible communication medium to present the script. Situational comedy uses a combination of these to carry the humour and message for the intended viewer.
- Lesson 02:
- Focus Task:
- Students are to work on their Sitcom assignemnts
Readings / Homework