Week 00: Introduction to Film and New Media
Class Task and Information
- Lesson 01:
- Overview of Year 9 Film and New Media
- Unit: Comedies
- TRAIL link: TRL
- Genre / Description: Story-forms / Teen comedy / Sitcom
- Skills and knowledge developed in year 8
- Technical Skills:
- Camera Operators License (Year 8 competency check)
- Camera Audio Management
- Audio Technician certificate - Mic's and Boom Mic's
- Dollies and motion
- OHS - Cable management and Pits
- Film Making Process: (Year 8 skills plus)
- Pre-production (Treatments, Storyboards, Scripts)
- Production Marks and Framing
- Post Production
- Audio Sequences
- Title Sequences
- Script / Treatment Assessment (Pitch Fest)
- Single Scene from Teen Comedy
- Technologies: Technologies are the tools and associated processes that are used to create meaning in moving-image media production and use.
- Representations: Representations are constructions of people, places, events, ideas, and emotions that are applied to create meaning in moving-image media production and use.
- Audiences: Audiences are individuals and groups of people for whom moving-image products are made, and who make meanings when they use these products.
- Institutions: Institutions are the organisations and people whose operational processes and practices enable or constrain moving-image media production and use.
- Languages: Languages are systems of signs and symbols organised through codes and conventions to create meaning in moving-image media production and use.
- What will you need next year?
- You will need your own SD card
- Writing materials and writing book (you have treatments, scripts, story boards to develop)
- Charged laptop - to edit and transfer media
- Willingness to work hard and be creative
- Design equipment
- Highlighters (3 colours - try to get pastels as they are more effective)
- 2b + H Pencils + sharpener + eraser (line drawing then inked)
- Black felt tip pen (2 sizes for thin and heave lines)
- Ensure you arrive to lesson prepared to work:
- Home work completed by 8:30 that morning (submissions via myFlinders)
- Have all equipment ready + Diary
- Laptop charged for lesson
- Correct uniform
- You will be required to use the out of class page if you leave the room
- Any Questions at this stage?
- Random Group Generator (Class will split at random into 5 groups)
- Elect the following people using a dice roll:
(Digital dice Roll 3D)
- First person to roll the following numbers will do:
- OHS person
- Camera Operator 1
- Camera Operator 2
- Wild Card (who and what is this?)
- Roll again
- Record the person and their function in the group
- Task 01: Review the check list for your camera technician
- Task 02: Each group is to collect 2 cameras and 2 tripods
- Group leader and OHS ensure all equipment is collected and returned
- Task 03: Students are to review the check list and formulate solutions and understanding.
- What to do if you do not know??
- Students are to work through the list and ensure they know how to do each part.
- Task 04: Start to film one member explaining how to do each aspect of the check list
- note this does not need to be done in listed order, however, must be logical and safe.
- Lesson 02:
- Students are to complete one more setup and pack down of equipment
- Ensure that you have captured each step for the different cameras
- Students in groups will need to go and film / conclude their filming and transfer the footage to their laptops
- Each group will perform a self assessment on each member of the group.
- If one member of the group is unable to complete the check list you will be required to up-skill them.
- Students must be able to operate both types of cameras.
Readings / Homework
- No readings or homework set during this week.