Week 02: Design Technologies and Materials
Class Task and Information
- Lesson 01:
- Students have audited the EV3 Kits
- Installed The EV3 Mindstorm Software
- Introduction to Computing
- EV3 hardware and software
- Simple driving and turning
- Time to get moving
- Programming Task #1: Racing Lane
- You are to create a program in mindstorm to drive your robot from the starting line and stopping just past the finish line.
- Record your results in you Design and Technology Book
- You are to measure the time it takes for your robot to travel the distance and the deviation from the straight path.
- Record your result of 3 passes. Each time you can try to adjust your robot for accuracy and speed.
- Use a video recording device (laptop, phone or video camera) to capture one successful attempt at this task.
- Place a screen shot of your coding in SWT with your video.
- How can you work out the speed of your Robot?
- Find the formula to calculate the speed of the robot.
- Have your robot drive the track 3 times and find the average.
- Calculate the approximate speed of your robot
- Take an image of your calculation and solution and place in SWT.
- Programming Task #2: Race Day
- When you have completed programming task #1 you are to select another team to race
- Your program is to begin with the pressing of the button sensor. Do not enter the race unless the button sensor activates your robot.
- Compete in the championship to work out who the winner is.
- Robot must start the race with the button sensor.
- You must complete the length of the course.
- You must not leave your lane or interfere with the other vehicle.
- Pit crew are not allowed to touch the robot after it is placed on the starting line.
- One person pushes both buttons
- Lesson 02:
- Programming tasks for the lesson:
- Programming Task #1 - Making the big turns:
- Enable your robot to make the corners without leaving the area of the square
- Programming Task #2 - Figure 8:
- Enable your robot to make a figure 8 pattern on the ground. Complete one direction and then the other.
- Remember to use the button switch to start the program. Tutorial:Touch sensor (part 1)
- Programming Task #3 - Robot Ping Pong
- Have your robot drive forward at 20% and when the front sensor is touched, Stop and then reverse at 20%.
- When the back sensor is touched Stop your robot and drive forward at 20%.
Readings / Homework
- Ensure all work is in Share With Teacher (SWT)
- Screen Shot of your code (Label the file appropriately)
- Take a video of your robot finishing the task.