Week 02: IDEAS - Design Technology
Class Task and Information
- Lesson 01:
- Welcome and Introduction
- Class Expectations
- Ensure you arrive to lesson prepared to work:
- Have all equipment ready + Diary
- Art / A3 book
- Design equipment
- Highlighters (3 colours - try to get pastels as they are more effective)
- 2b + H Pencils + sharpener + eraser
- Laptop charged for lesson
- Correct uniform
- You will be required to use the out of class page if you leave the room
- Common classroom activities.
- Random Group Generator (Class will split at random into 5 groups)
- Elect the following people using a dice roll unless specified: (Digital dice Roll 3D)
- First person to roll the following numbers will do:
- Scribe for the group
- Proof reader
- Reporter for the group
- Wild Card - the motivator / outside the box
- Roll again
- Record the person and their function in the group
- Discussion and work clock
Intro: Welcome to the course and your expectations.
- Gain an overview understanding of the Innovation Process
- Reflect on existing skills and attributes
What is IDEAS - <Link to presentation>
- SHARED EXPECTATIONS - <Link to Presentation>
- We actively participate in learning and collaborate with others
- We embrace opportunities and take on the big challenges
- We ask the hard questions
- We imagine, create and design to make it happen
- We show and tell the world what we do
- We behave in a manner that promotes the health, safety and wellbeing of ourselves or others
- We remain in the work environment unless supervised by a teacher
- We advise any safety concerns to the attending teacher
- We value equity and diversity
- We respect the resources that we use
- We use appropriate language when engaging with others
Task 01: IDEAS and the Innovation process:
- The Innovation process - <Link to presentation>
- Module 0 - IDEAS Innovation Process
- Information about what we will be completing and investigating before the process begins.
- Reflect on existing skills and attributes
- Allocate student teams to create productive partnerships for the project (In industry, people with different interests, skills and backgrounds grounds often make excellent teams)
- Introduce students to the IDEAS innovation Process they will use throughout this inquiry
- Module 1 - Provocation / Inspiration
- Looking at the initial provocation
- Introducing the inquiry project brief
- Distinguish between physical, emotional impact of the provocation
- Investigate different types of technologies and their purpose
- Analyse case studies and conduct a SWOT analysis of your school and community
- Module 2 - Empathy - Context and User Needs
- Understand the meaning and importance of empathy in design thinking
- Empathise from multiple perspectives with a person with disabilities
- Evaluate context and user needs
- Module 3 - Refine, Insight, Define
- Reflect, analyse and evaluate outcomes of empathy research
- Infer relationships and patterns - synthesise research
- Compare, sequence, explain ideas and information generated during empathy research
- Generate new conclusions, realisations, hypotheses. insights
- Module 4 - Ideate:
- Use ideation techniques to come up with as many ideas as possible
- Evaluate ideas and select the most viable idea to implement as design solution
- Prototype / Test / Iterate
- Develop a series of prototypes using a range of technologies and specialist equipment
- Select from a range of technologies and assess their suitability for 2 specific task
- Test, evaluate and review your design to make iterations and development changes
- Test / Feedback / Review
- Test and evaluate prototypes
- Seek and consider feedback from a larger audience
- Iterate prototypes
- Module 5 - Pitch Presentation
- To communicate ideas to a wider audience
- Use digital media to communicate information
- Give and receive feedback
- Reflect and evaluate own project
- Module 6 - Review / Reflect
- Reflect on the innovation process and the inquiry project
- Reflect on skills and dispositions developed through the project
- Set goals for future design projects
- Ensure you have installed all software and completed updates
- Ensure your toolbar and Google Drive are ready for lessons
- Gain an practical understanding of the Innovation Process
- Investigate a provocation
- Refine, Insight, Define & Ideate through the design process
- Introduction to the Pitch.
- Task 01: Investigate a provocation
- Students are to discuss the current situation and gather the 'Wisdom of the Group'.
- Is there a problem / situation that requires improvement?
- Could the problem be done through a design and technology solution?
- Task 02: Refine, Insight, Define & Ideate through the design process
- Students are to work as a group, record your thoughts and discussions as evidence.
- Design a solution or improvement for the provocation presented.
- Task 03: Pitch to the class.
- Students will have an opportunity to present their ideas and solution to the different groups in the class.
- This process could be done as a direct presentation to all or a teacher tour or traveling show.
Readings / Homework
- Ensure all work is complete and up to date.
- Ensure you have an understanding of the 6 modules of the Innovation process for Design and IDEAS.